Happy are the people whose God is the Lord.
Psalm 144:15

Monday, March 7, 2011

Death: Victory and Joy!

Each night before bed, Daddy gives us a bedtime snack of Charles Spurgeon from his Morning and Evening devotionals. What an amazing man of God! We sink into our beds overcome with hope and awakened to the mercy of our Heavenly Father. Some of my favorite quotes are about death. Martin Luther wore a ring with a skull on it and told his children, "to think on death often." I wish to share a few of Spurgeon's thoughts regarding death, heaven and the joy beyond.


"Now, recollect there is no pain in death, the pain is in life: when a man dies there is an end of life’s pain: death is the pain killer, not the pain maker."

"Some look with intense delight to the prospect of the Saviour’s coming, as a means of escape from death. I confess I have but slender sympathy with them. If I might have my choice, I would prefer, of the two, to die. Let it be as the Lord wills; but there is a point of fellowship with Christ in death which they will miss who shall not sleep; and it seems to me to have some sweetness in it to follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth, even though he descend into the sepulchre."

"Oh, if we could not die, it would be indeed horrible! Who wants to be chained to this poor life for a century or longer?"

"When you are in good health any form of religion may satisfy, but a dying soul wants more than sand to rest upon. You will want the Rock of Ages. Then let me assure you, that in light of the grave, all confidence, except confidence in the blood and righteousness of Jesus Christ, is a clear delusion."

"I never yet heard regrets from dying men that they had done too much for Christ, or lived too earnestly for him, or won too many souls, or given too much of their substance to the cause of God: but the regrets all lie the other way, God save us from them for his mercy’s sake."

- Charles Spurgeon
Quotes from: Spurgeon.us

No comments: