Happy are the people whose God is the Lord.
Psalm 144:15

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Poems and Ponderings




Quiet, Quiet Falls the Snow

Quiet, quiet falls the snow
as footfalls of a woodland doe.
Flying doves of winter breed
follow frost’s impromptu lead.

Joining fellow comrades’ rest
deep within my fair forest.
Lacing trees; eternal chains,
snow along our slushy lanes.

Glowing diamonds, eiderdown
blanketing the frozen ground
Rolling up my tired threshold
fleecy ice waves; quick and bold.

Cold, gray sky as in early dawn,
disappearance of brown lawn.
White of whitest, clear but deep
shifting past my warm retreat.

Piling high the garden fence
in rows of linen, piling since
something in me constant drew
to behold the changing view.

An ashen swarm lands the trees
as a clump of summer bees
divide the pollen in the flowers;
flurries make us icy bowers.

Sudden drops as whitened leaves
when in Autumn blows the breeze;
fall to ground to muted breathe,
while above the winds do seethe.

Resting, waiting, flitting, falling,
drifting, sparkling, raining, stalling
Quiet, quiet how it snows,
watching how the Winter goes.

Beauty made from God’s own hands
shaping, forming icy strands,
Thankfulness is snowing on
my mind as I am snowed upon.

*Written by Madeleine*
2/11/2010

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My dear Madeleine, You have captured the picture of snow with words in such a luxurious fashion...I ALMOST want it to stay. :-)

mountainculinaire | Renée said...

Hi Madeleine,

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I bookmarked yours in my favorites so I can keep looking at it. I like your poetry, too. I should try to write shorter poems. I usually only write really long ones, so I don't do it very often!

On one of your posts, you wrote about the books that you burned. I thought I'd mention some books I have enjoyed recently, in addition to the ones Vision Forum sells, which I'm sure you are familiar with. I really like "From Dark to Dawn" by Elizabeth Charles, about a family acquainted with Martin Luther during the German Reformation. Also, I really liked "Beyond Stateliest Marble" about Anne Bradstreet. I think American Vision sells both of these. Also, American Vision has some good historical fiction by Douglas Bond, and some other series' about historic women. Just thought I'd give a few suggestions. I admire your courage about your books. I never liked Little Women--the book or the movie--and never had the Anne books. I have enjoyed the Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea movies, since they show a peaceful setting and still a lot of femininity due to the era; however, the feministic ideas are pretty prevalent as well, especially when she refuses Gilbert the first time. They probably aren't the best thing to watch, though.

I'll come back and read your blog again. I hope you're doing well. Sounds like the snow was fun!

Love,
Renee